There are many factors that affect scale formation. Don’t worry, the AZUR SPA product range offers simple and effective solutions to prevent scale formation in your spa.
There are 3 possible causes of scale formation:
- Calcium hardness is too high;
- Total alkalinity is too high;
- pH is too high.
In what follows, we will see the solution to each of these three problems.
1. Calcium Hardness Is Too High;
In 90% of the cases, you will not have a calcium hardness problem in your spa because people use running city water to fill it up. The remaining 10% of high calcium hardness is for people who live in rural areas and fill the spa with well water.
If a water test detects that you have a high calcium hardness (over 150 ppm), then we recommend that you put, once a week, 45 mL of SCALE CONTROL per 1000 litres of water in your spa. The product will not reduce the calcium hardness itself, but will prevent the formation of scale on the
walls, in the piping, in the pump and in the heater of the spa.
It is good to know that there is no product available that will lower the hardness of the water.
2. Total Alkalinity Is Too High
In 90% of cases, you will not have an alkalinity problem in your spa because people use city water to fill it. The remaining 10% where there is high alkalinity is for people who live in rural areas and fill the spa with well water.
If a water test detects that you have high alkalinity (more than 120 ppm), then we recommend that you lower it by using ALKA-. This is an acidic liquid that will lower the alkalinity in your spa. Simply follow the directions on the container.
The recommended total alkalinity in a spa is between 100 and 120 ppm.
3. pH is Too High
Very often we end up with a high pH in the spa. Several factors can be at play, but the most common is the addition of a chemical product to the water. Chlorinated spa products tend to raise the pH of the water.
In this case, simply lower the pH with PH-. The pH in a spa should be between 7.2 and 7.8.
As a preventive measure and to avoid any future problems, we recommend that you put a dose of 45 mL of SCALE CONTROL per 1000 litres of water in your spa once a week.